top of page

Family Reunification in Ireland: Visa and Right of Residence for Family Members

Updated: May 25, 2023

If you are an EU citizen, married or in a registered partnership with a citizen

non-EU, European law helps you bring your spouse to Ireland on a C visa for

family reunification.

Conditions for the EU citizen:

  • To have valid identity documents (passport, identity card) at the time of application for visa;

  • To be employed (employee) or self-employed (self-employed) in Ireland for a period for at least 6 months;

  • Be permanently resident in Ireland at the time of visa application.

Stay in Ireland for a duration of 3 months

The C visa allows the non-EU citizen spouse, married to an EU citizen, to live in

Ireland for a maximum period of 3 months. During this period, the spouse will have only one right of residence, but will not have the right to work in Ireland.

Staying in Ireland for more than 3 months

The residence card is a separate application that can be made as a secondary step after arrival in Ireland.

To obtain the right of residence in Ireland for a period longer than 3 months, the spouse non-EU citizen, married to an EU citizen will have to apply, within the 3-month period in which is in the territory of Ireland, a residence permit.

The residence card or residence permit will be issued for a period of 5 years. Until the settlement application, as well as after obtaining the residence card, the non-EU citizen will have the right to residence and right to work in Ireland.

The information presented also applies to non-EU national children joining them in Ireland EU citizen parents.

For more details, the specialized lawyers at Popa &Co. Law Firm provides services of consultancy, assistance and legal representation regarding obtaining a visa, residence card, and the exercise of other immigrant rights in Ireland.


bottom of page